This article is written for users with an access level of System Administrator and will cover:
- Introduction to the award and pay rate library
- Payroll integrations
- Applying pay rates from the pay rate library to employees
- Exporting timesheets using library pay rates
- Links to Australian awards
- Links to the United States pay rate library
- Pay rate FAQs
Introduction to the award and pay rate library
Deputy offers several "out of the box" pay rates for our customers to take advantage of. Pay rates help to automate many aspects of Australia's modern award requirements and US wage and hour laws by providing itemized pay recommendations on each employee's timesheets. Deputy's pay rate library also facilitates more accurate demand forecasting by enabling businesses to create "costed" timesheets that provide an estimate of labour costs.
While Deputy’s pay rate library is designed to Simplify Shift Work by reducing the time required to apply the relevant legal requirements through automation, it is not a substitute for payroll or legal advice, nor is it intended to relieve you of your obligation to comply with the legal requirements applicable to your business. It is ultimately each customer’s sole responsibility to pay its employees correctly and in compliance with all Legal Requirements. Please review our Product Specific Terms for more information about your compliance responsibilities.
You can currently export Deputy's out-of-the-box pay rules to the following payroll systems:
How to apply Pay rates from the pay rate library to employees
Applying pay rates from the pay rate library works in a similar way to entering the pay rate amount manually.
1. On the People page, click on the name of the employee you would like to add the pay rate to.
2. Scroll down the menu on the left and select Employment, then click Edit:
3. Click on Pay Details and then the Pay rates drop-down menu for a full list of pay rates in the pay rate library.
Tip: You may also find it easier to find the award you need by typing the abbreviation of the award name in the search field.
4. Once you have selected the correct pay rate, simply enter the employee's ordinary base rate and Deputy will automatically populate the other fields.
5. Remember to click Save to apply the rates to the employee.
If you need to update multiple employees at once you can use the Bulk Action functionality in the People page.
Exporting timesheets using library pay rates
When you export timesheets with pay rates from our pay rate library, it is advised that you match the export code sent from Deputy to the matching pay item in the target payroll system ( ADP Run, Gusto, MYOB AR, MYOB, Xero).
This allows you to reuse any pay items within your payroll system, avoiding any duplicate items.
Please remember to click Save when making any changes to the Export Code.
Note: there may also be limitations in your Payroll system as to what export code you can use. For example, in MYOB AR Live, the export code is limited to 31 characters. Check your payroll system for your specifications.
A note about decimal places in Deputy
When viewing costs, hours, and units in Deputy, you will see the numbers reflected with up to two decimal places. Please be aware that Deputy's software actually stores up to eight decimal places in the background, and uses all eight decimal places when performing calculations to achieve a highly accurate result.
The following awards are currently available in Deputy:
- Aged Care Award [MA000018]
- Airport Employee Award [MA000049]
- Alpine Resorts Award [MA000092]
- Amusement, Events, and Recreation Award [MA000080]
- Animal Care & Veterinary Services Award [MA000118]
- Australian Government Industry Award [MA000153]
- Building & Construction General On-Site Award [MA000020]
- Car Parking Award [MA000095]
- Children's Services Award [MA000120]
- Cleaning Award [MA000022]
- Clerks Private Sector Award [MA000002]
- Commercial Sales Award [MA000083]
- Contract Call Centres Award [MA000023]
- Dry Cleaning & Laundry Industry Award [MA000096]
- Education Services (Teachers) Award [MA000077]
- Educational Services (Post-Secondary Education) Award [MA000075]
- Electrical, Electronic and Communications Contracting Award [MA000025]
- Fast Food Industry Award [MA000003]
- Fitness Industry Award [MA000094]
- Food, Beverage & Tobacco Manufacturing Award [MA000073]
- Gardening and Landscaping Services Award [MA000101]
- General Retail Industry Award [MA000004]
- Hair and Beauty Industry Award [MA000005]
- Health Professionals and Support Services Award [MA000027]
- Horse & Greyhound Training Award [MA000008]
- Horticulture Award [MA000028]
- Hospitality Industry General Award [MA000009]
- Live Performance Award [MA000081]
- Manufacturing and Associated Industries and Occupations Award [MA000010]
- Meat Industry Award [MA000059]
- Miscellaneous Award [MA000104]
- Nursery Award [MA000033]
- Nurses Award [MA000034]
- Passenger Vehicle Transportation Award [MA000063]
- Pharmacy Industry Award [MA000012]
- Port Authorities Award [MA000051]
- Poultry Processing Awar[MA000074]
- Professional Employees Award [MA000065]
- Racing Club Events Award [MA000013]
- Rail Industry Award [MA000015]
- Registered and Licensed Clubs Award [MA000058]
- Restaurant Industry Award [MA000119]
- Road Transport and Distribution Award [MA000038]
- Security Services Industry Award [MA000016]
- Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award [MA000100]
- Sporting Organisations Award [MA000082]
- Storage Services and Wholesale Award [MA000084]
- Supported Employment Services Award [MA000103]
- Telecommunications Services Award [MA000041]
- Travelling Shows Award [MA000102]
- Waste Management Award [MA000043]
- Wine Industry Award [MA000090]
If the award you are looking for is not in our system, please send it in via our Deputy Awards Suggestion Form.
United States pay rate library
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- California (Without Meal Break Waiver)
- California (With Meal Break Waiver)
- Kansas (FLSA)
- Kansas (Non-FLSA)
- Massachusetts Retailer Labor Law
- Nevada (With Daily Overtime)
- Nevada (Without Daily Overtime)
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York Hospitality
- New York Miscellaneous Industries
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- USA Exempt From FLSA
- Hourly (40 h + 1.5x Overtime)
- Hourly (44 h + 1.5x Overtime)
- Rates per Day
See also our Pay rate library FAQs