Remove the need to collect paper forms from your employees with Employee Onboarding.
Using this feature, employees can enter in some of their own details before they start their employment.
In this article, you will learn:
How does employee onboarding with Deputy work?
Employee onboarding allows you to digitally collect and record vital employee information. Deputy automatically collects the following information during every onboard -
- Personal details
- Emergency contact details
- Bank (payment deposit) information
- Tax details & new starter form (P45)
- [optional] Documents you ask them to provide as part of their employment
- [optional] Documents you ask them to electronically sign such as employee contract of company information document as part of their employment process.
Sending a request to your employee to complete their onboarding process will send out an SMS and an email to the specified destinations. You will not be charged for the outbound SMS containing the invitation link.
Once the employee has successfully completed the onboarding process the manager will be sent an email to notify them to review the documents and also the employee will be invited to set up their password to access your organisation on Deputy.
How much does it cost?
Your first 10 onboards will be free of charge, then onboarding an employee will incur a one-off cost of £8 (excl. VAT) per onboard which will be billed monthly.
The charge only applies when you use the Employee Onboarding features to onboard new employees. For customers on:
- a monthly plan - the onboarding costs will be charged at the end of the month along with your normal monthly plan invoice
- an annual plan - the onboarding costs will be charged at the end of the month, similar to how any additional fees like additional users or SMS are charged
Onboarding a new employee
Once you have set up onboarding then you are ready to onboard a new team member.
1. Click on the Add People button on the People page and select Onboard team member.
2. Enter the following details about your new team member:
- First Name
- Last name
- Email Address
- Mobile phone number
3. Select from the search field any document(s) that are required to be completed and signed.
4. If the document template has customised fields set up then you will be asked to complete these fields to send the documents to the new hire. Your answers will be populated in the custom fields of the document template when the document is sent.
5. Tick the checkboxes to select any documents for the list that you require them to upload.
Click Onboard Employee and the employee will be sent both an email and SMS with a link for them to complete onboarding.
You will be notified by email when they have completed onboarding and the team member will then automatically be sent an invite to download the Deputy mobile app and join your organisation on Deputy.
Onboarding an employee already in Deputy
If your employee is already in Deputy but you’d like them to complete the onboarding process and upload documents you can still do this.
1. Click on their name from the list of team members on the People page then select either Personal or Forms and documents from the Profile menu on the left-hand side. Click on Onboard Employee.
Enter the email and mobile phone number of your employee, and follow the steps as described in How to Onboard a new team member and click on Onboard Employee.
The team member will be sent both an email and SMS with a link for them to complete onboarding and you will be notified when they complete it.
How to check the status and progress of your employee’s onboarding forms and documents
Once you have sent the onboarding invitation to your employee, you will be able to see the status within the People tab, underneath their name.
You will be able to filter for each of the onboarding statuses to quickly see who’s been sent an onboarding invitation, which onboarding needs to be reviewed and who has been approved.
How to Review Your Employees' Onboarding Forms and Uploaded Documents
You will receive an email letting you know when the employee has completed their onboarding forms.
1. To review the information your employee has completed or document uploaded, either click on the Review and approve link in the notification email or else click on their name in the People tab and click the Forms and Documents section from the list on the left-hand side.
2. When you click on the Forms tab you can see information that has been submitted.
3. When you click on the Documents tab you can download any signed documents you requested or documents that have been uploaded.
4. You can review all of the completed details and sync them to the employee’s profile in Deputy.
5. If you notice that there is something not correct with what the employee has supplied you can click Resend link and the employee will receive a new link to update the document.
Note: Documents stored on Deputy will be available whilst you maintain an active subscription to a Deputy plan. If you are required to store certain records for a specified amount of time to comply with any legislation then it is recommended that you download and store documents in your own document management system.
How to delete requested documents
Managers can remove requested documents if they no longer require their employees to upload that doc.
Example: the manager accidentally requested an employee to upload their RSA certification as part of the onboarding but then later realised that role does not need RSA certification and wants to remove the document requirement so the employee can complete their onboarding.
To remove a document that is no longer needed:
1. On the People tab, go to the Forms & documents in an employee’s profile
2. Click Resend link
3. If the employee has already been sent an onboarding invitation with documents requested, a pop up will appear where you can make changes to templates and requested documents. Click Remove for any documents no longer needed and then click Update and resend.
We would love to hear from you if you have any feedback.
You may also be interested in: