Remove the need to collect paper forms from your team members with Employee Onboarding. Using this feature, team members can enter in some of their own details before they start their employment.
Note: This feature is only for businesses located in Australia and will incur additional costs per new hire onboarded.
In this article, you will learn:
- How does employee onboarding with Deputy work?
- How much does it cost?
- How to set up employee onboarding
- How to check the status & progress of your employee's onboarding
- How to review your employees' onboarding forms and uploaded documents
- How to export submitted onboarding information as a CSV file
- How to delete requested documents
- Frequently asked questions
- Watch a video on checking, finalising onboarding and requesting changes
How does employee onboarding with Deputy work?
Employee Onboarding allows you to digitally collect and record vital employee information. Deputy automatically requests the following:
- Personal & emergency contact details
- Bank (payment deposit) information
- Tax File Number Declaration
- Superannuation choice form
By ticking the boxes when filling in their details, employees are confirming that their details entered are correct. The boxes, when ticked, are considered the equivalent of a written signature and meet the requirements set by the ATO.
You can then set up:
- Documents you ask them to provide as part of their employment
- Documents you ask them to electronically sign such as employee contract of company information document as part of their employment process
- Custom questions that are specific to your business
Sending a request to your employee to complete their onboarding process will send out an SMS and an email to the specified destinations. You will not be charged for the outbound SMS containing the invitation link.
Once the employee has successfully completed the onboarding process the manager will be sent an email to notify them to review the documents and also the employee will be invited to set up their password to access your organisation on Deputy.
How much does it cost?
Onboarding an employee will incur a one-off cost of $15 (excl. GST) per onboard which will be billed monthly.
The charge only applies when you use the Employee Onboarding features to onboard new employees. For customers on:
- a monthly plan - the onboarding costs will be charged at the end of the month along with your normal monthly plan invoice
- an annual plan - the onboarding costs will be charged at the end of the month, similar to how any additional fees like additional users or SMS are charged
You are still able to add employees to your organisation in the usual way without incurring any additional onboarding costs.
How to set up Employee Onboarding
Before you start Onboarding
Before you can onboard a new hire you will need to go through a series of steps to set up your organisation for onboarding. You will only need to do this the first time and then it will be set up for all subsequent new hires.
The steps involve:
- Setting up your Superannuation Details for your organisation's default fund.
- Specifying which documents you will be asking new hires to upload eg. Driver's Licence, RSA etc.
- Setting up templates that will be sent to new hires asking them to sign electronically.
Onboarding a new employee
Once you have set up onboarding then you are ready to onboard a new employee
1. Click on the Add People button on the People page and select Onboard employee.
2. Enter the following details about your new employee:
3. Select from the search field any document(s) that are required to be completed and signed.
4. If the document template has customised fields set up then you will be asked to complete these fields to send the documents to the new hire. Your answers will be populated in the custom fields of the document template when the document is sent.
5. Tick the checkboxes to select any documents for the list that you require them to upload.
Click Onboard employee and the employee will be sent both an email and SMS with a link for them to complete onboarding.
You will be notified by email when they have completed onboarding and the employee will then automatically be sent an invite to download the Deputy mobile app and join your organisation on Deputy.
Note: if you accidentally entered the wrong email address for your employee when you first sent the onboarding invite, you can update it later and resend the onboarding invitation to the new one. Read more in FAQs.
Onboarding an Employee Already in Deputy
If your employee is already in Deputy but you’d like them to complete the onboarding process and upload documents you can still do this.
1. Click on their name from the list of employees on the People page then select either Personal or HR documents from the Profile menu on the left-hand side. Click on Onboard Employee.
2. Enter the email and mobile phone number of your employee, and follow the steps as described in How to Onboard a new employee and click on Onboard employee.
The employee will be sent both an email and SMS with a link for them to complete onboarding and you will be notified when they complete it.
How to check the status and progress of your employee’s onboarding forms and documents
Once you have sent the onboarding invitation to your employee, you will be able to see the status within the People tab, underneath their name.
You will be able to filter for each of the onboarding statuses to quickly see who’s been sent an onboarding invitation, which onboarding needs to be reviewed and who has been approved.
How to review your employees' Onboarding forms and uploaded documents
You will receive an email letting you know when the employee has completed their onboarding forms.
1. To review the information your employee has completed or document uploaded, either click on the Review and approve link in the notification email or else click on their name in the People tab and click the Forms and Documents section from the list on the left-hand side.
2. When you click on the Forms tab you can see information that has been submitted. If you are happy with the onboarding, go ahead and approve it by clicking Sync and approve.
TFN declaration form: you can export and submit it electronically - learn more here.
Click on the Export to ATO form link.
3. When you click on the Documents tab you can download any signed documents you requested or documents that have been uploaded.
4. You can review all of the completed details and sync them to the employee’s profile in Deputy and to your payroll system if you are connected via an integration.
5. If you notice that there is something not correct with what the employee has supplied you can click Resend link and the employee will receive a new link to update the document.
Note: Documents stored on Deputy will be available whilst you maintain an active subscription to a Deputy plan. If you are required to store certain records for a specified amount of time to comply with any legislation then it is recommended that you download and store documents in your own document management system.
How to export submitted onboarding information as a CSV
Managers can export submitted onboarding information (in either 'awaiting approval' or 'completed' state) from their team members including:
- Personal details & emergency contact
- Bank details
- Tax details
- Super fund choice (AU)
1. On the People tab, click on Add People then select Onboard employees.
2. Click on Settings.
3. Click on Go to onboarding export.
4. Use the search field, location and date selector to refine the list of onboarding forms submitted by your team members. Tick the check boxes of employee onboarding information you'd like to export and click Export.
5. A CSV file will be downloaded to your computer. See example file.
How to delete requested documents
Managers can remove requested documents if they no longer require their employees to upload that doc.
Example: the manager accidentally requested an employee to upload their RSA certification as part of the onboarding but then later realised that role does not need RSA certification and wants to remove the document requirement so the employee can complete their onboarding.
To remove a document that is no longer needed:
1. On the People tab, go to the Forms & documents in an employee’s profile
2. Click Resend link
3. If the employee has already been sent an onboarding invitation with documents requested, a pop up will appear where you can make changes to templates and requested documents. Click Remove for any documents no longer needed and then click Update and resend.