The Android Time Clock allows team members to start and end their shift or break from a device located in a centralised location at your workplace.
If you have an iPad instead of an Android tablet, check out this guide to set up the Deputy Kiosk for iPad.
What you will need to set up the Deputy Time Clock for Android:
- Android tablet or phone running Android 5.1 or over with a screen of 4 inches or larger
- Consistent access to the internet and power for the tablet.
- It is recommended to configure the tablet not to lock the screen or go to sleep after a specific time.
- Downloaded the Android Time Clock from the Google Play Store. Search for Deputy Employee Time Clock and click Install.
- A Deputy user with an access level of System Administrator or a Location Manager to set up the Time Clock. Employees or Supervisors cannot set up a Kiosk. Once the Deputy Time Clock for Android has been set up by a System Administrator or Location Manager it is a one-time action. They do not need to log in daily or regularly. The Time Clock will then be ready for your team members to clock in 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Setting up the Android Time Clock
After downloading the app, tap it to open:
After successfully logging in, you will be prompted to name your Time Clock.
After you have done this, select the organisation and the location you would like to assign the Time Clock to.
Then select the method that your team members will clock in, either:
- Face Unlock or PIN
- PIN only
Note: the first time team members use the Deputy Time Clock for Android they will need to use their PIN to access the Time Clock then opt-in to FaceUnlock if they wish to use it. FaceUnlock does not automatically detect the face of new user until they have given permission.
You will need to ask team members who want use the Face Unlock feature for touchless clock in to upload a clear portrait photo to their profile (maximum size of 10MB). The photo should not include more than one person otherwise the Face Unlock will fail.
Deputy will only use the team member photos to recognise their likeness for Face Unlock.
Alternatively, your team members can use their PIN to start and end their shift/break.
Team members were emailed their PIN when they were invited to join Deputy.
System Administrators also have the ability to retrieve team members' PIN from the team member's profile on the People page under Personal > Login Information.
Requiring Team Members to take a photo on the Android Time Clock when clocking on/off
Regardless of whether your team members sign in to the Android Time Clock via PIN or Face Unlock, you can configure your Deputy location so that the team member must have their photo taken on the Android Time Clock during the Clock on and off event.
To turn this feature on or off, log in to the web application of Deputy as a System Administrator or Location Manager.
On the Locations page, select the work location you wish to configure and select Timesheets. You can see there is a toggle ON / OFF to set whether you require team members to take a photo when starting or ending a shift on the Kiosk or Time Clock.
Don't forget to click Save before you leave the page if you made any changes.
Tips and recommendations
Please note that team members:
Time Clock set up recommendations
- Currently, the default configuration is that Time Clocks are set up per Deputy Location and will only show a list of team members for that Location. If a team member is working from a different location than they usually would, then they need to be scheduled for a shift at that location for their name to appear in the Time Clock. If you would like your Time Clock to be able to show all team members in your organisation regardless of which location they are added to please read this FAQ.
- Set up the Time Clock tablet with a constant power supply so you never need to come back to it to recharge
- Mount the tablet device in a case that will stop it from being tampered with.
- Ensure the tablet device is installed at head height level if you choose to use facial recognition for the kiosk.
- Please ensure the Time Clock is located in a well-lit location to optimise facial recognition accuracy.
You may be interested in reading more about Android Time Clock: