For more information on Timesheets in Deputy first read Introduction to Timesheets.
When approving timesheets, you should always do so in chronological order. Approving timesheets starting with the oldest date to the most recent date. This will ensure that all overtime and shift loading calculations are accurate.
This article is written for users with Deputy access level of Supervisor, Location Manager or System Administrator and will cover:
- How to Approve Timesheets on Deputy Web Application
- How to Bulk Approve Timesheets
- How to Approve Timesheets on Deputy Mobile Apps
- How to Unapprove and Amend Approved Timesheets
- Tips and Tricks
How to Approve Timesheets on Deputy Web Application
On the Deputy web application, you can view, edit and approve your team's Timesheets by clicking the Timesheets tab and selecting select Approve Timesheets.
1. Select the Location of timesheets you would like to view
2. Select the date range of timesheets that you would like to view
3. You will be presented with a view displaying team members with timesheets in the period you selected.
Team members names in the list coloured yellow have timesheets not yet approved. They will be coloured green once all their timesheets for this period have been approved.
You can select a team member from the list by clicking on them or use the search field to type in a specific team member's name and view their timesheets
4. To approve a timesheet select a timesheet with Pending status, review the shift details on the screen. You can edit any details you need to update such as Area, shift or break times. You can also click Round next to the Start/Finish time to round the timesheet times according to rules that have been configured for this location. Once you are happy with the timesheet, click Approve or Approve & Next if you would like to view the next timesheet.
Approve & Next will take you to the team member's next timesheet automatically. If you have approved all of the selected team member's timesheets then Approve & Next will take you to the timesheet of the next team member on this list.
Team members whose timesheets are all approved for the period selected will be coloured green and automatically drop to the bottom of the list.
How to Bulk Approve Timesheets
If you are satisfied with all timesheets for the selected time period for a selected team member you can bulk approve all their timesheets at once by clicking on Approve All.
In the example below, Fran Nondas has 7 timesheets to approve for this time period. Clicking Approve All will approve them all.
Note that only timesheets with the timesheet progress as Submitted can be bulk approved. If you have a timesheet with progress listed as Unsubmitted you will need to review the timesheet individually.
Unsubmitted timesheets mean a shift was scheduled but the team member did not clock in. You will need to work out whether the team member did work the scheduled shift without clocking in and then either Import scheduled details to complete the timesheet and approve the shift or else Discard Time Sheet if the shift was not actually worked.
How to Approve Timesheets on Deputy Mobile Apps
As a manager you can also view and approve your team's timesheets directly from your Deputy mobile app.
1. Tap on the Schedule tab on your mobile app.
2. Select the Location and Date for the timesheets you wish to view and approve.
3. Tap on the team member's timesheet you wish to view, edit or approve.
4. Review and edit the shift details as required then tap Approve.
You can see approved timesheets now appear at the bottom of the list for this date.
You can also bulk approve timesheets on the Deputy mobile app as well.
1. If you are satisfied with all timesheets for a selected Location and Date then tap on the Approve X Timesheets button at the bottom of the screen.
2. On the next screen you can select the team member's timesheets by tapping on their photo or you can tap Select all.
3. When you have selected all timesheets you wish to approve tap the Approve X button.
Amending a Timesheet
When a manager (Supervisor, Location Manager or System Administrator) approves a timesheet, the time and pay component of the timesheet is approved.
However, there may be an instance where within a timesheet, the team member's pay and the worked hours are to be approved separately, or a timesheet has been approved, but the pay and/or the hours later need to be amended.
Amending a timesheet can be done from within the Approving Timesheets page.
Users with Deputy access level of Location Manager and System Administrator are able to amend and approve the time and pay component of the timesheets for team member's they manage.
Users with Deputy access level of Supervisor are only able to amend and approve the time component of the timesheets for team members they manage but they are unable to view or amend the pay component of any timesheets.
How to Amend the Time Component of an Approved Timesheet
1. Click on the Approved timesheet you wish to amend.
2. Click Unapprove Time
3. You can now edit any of the shift time components you need to by clicking on the relevant field.
What details in a timesheet can you edit?
Areas of Work (use this field to change the timesheet to a leave timesheet if required by scrolling to end of list of areas to see leave types)
Start / End Shift Times
Break Type and Duration
Break Start and End Times
Answers to optional shift questions
If you want the timesheet to revert to the shift details originally scheduled you may click Import Scheduled Details.
After you have edited the fields please click click Approve or Approve & Next if you would like to view the next timesheet.
Note that when approving timesheets, you should always do so in chronological order, approving timesheets starting with the oldest date to the most recent date. This will ensure that all overtime and shift loading calculations are accurate. Anytime you edit a timesheet and there are previously approved timesheets for the same employee on a more recent date, you should unapprove and re-approve all timesheets after the date on which you made the edits.
How to Amend the Pay Component of an Approved Timesheet
Note: only users with access permission of Location Manager and System Admniistrator can amend the pay component of timesheets.
1. Click on the Approved timesheet you wish to amend.
2. Click Unapprove Pay
3. You can now edit any of the pay components for the team member's timesheet then click Approve.
Note that when approving timesheets, you should always do so in chronological order, approving timesheets starting with the oldest date to the most recent date. This will ensure that all overtime and shift loading calculations are accurate.
Anytime you edit a timesheet and there are previously approved timesheets for the same team member on a more recent date, you should unapprove and re-approve all timesheets after the date on which you made the edits.
Tips and Tricks
When approving timesheets, if a team member clocked on using a mobile app you will see a green pin where they clocked on, making it easy to determine whether or not the team member was at work.
Shift Start and End Photo
If you have photo verification enabled on the iOS KiosK or Andriod Time Clock, you will see the team member's photo in the timesheet.
If you are using the Kiosk or Android Time clock without photo verification you'll see only the workplace displayed.
N/A = Timesheet still in progress
Pending = Timesheet not approved
Approved = Timesheet approved
Future = The team member's shift is scheduled but not started yet
Started = Team member's shift is in progress (you can approve this shift but not with an end shift time in the future)
Unsubmitted = A placeholder shift that was scheduled but no team member clocked on or off. You will either need to enter the shift details and approve, or discard the shift if it was not actually worked
Submitted = A timesheet was created. To review what actions will trigger the creation of a timesheet review Introduction to Timesheets.
Time Approved = The start, end and break time details of the timesheet have been approved.
Pay Approved = The time and pay details of the timesheet have been approved.
Shift Details Not Quite Right?
You can message your team member directly from their timesheet to query any issues with their shift details.
You can also amend team member's pay rate settings directly from the timesheet by clicking on their photo or name in the list on the left hand side. This will take you directly to their profile in People.
You may also be interested in: