Before we begin on the People page, please make sure you have the required access to add new people to your organisation in Deputy.
You will need to be either a Location Manager, System Administrator or Advisor.
Adding team members to your Deputy account is one of the first things you can do when you set up your Deputy account, with as little information as your team members' names. However, there are many other ways you can add your team members.
When adding team members you usually also have the option to:
- automatically invite them to join your account in Deputy at the same time as they are added OR
- not send an invitation just yet (so that you get the account set up first and then invite them later).
This guide shows the different ways to help you decide which is the best for you to add your team.
I only have a few team members
If you want to get started quickly and only have a few team members with not much detail to input, then manually adding a single employee or multiple employees may be the easiest option for you.
I want to import my team's details from another system in my business
If you have many employees, with data already stored in another software system then you may find it easier to connect directly to the system via an integration.
Note: if you are setting up a new Deputy account and want to import your team members from another system such as payroll but don't want to invite them to join Deputy until you have Deputy set up please read this help article.
If you have your team member information in a spreadsheet you can also easily import the data into Deputy to add your team using Bulk Import Update.
I want my team members to complete their details themselves
If you want your team members to add their own information to Deputy you can share a link to invite them to join your Deputy account.
Alternatively, if you are in Australia or UK, there is also the option to use our paperless onboarding feature to onboard a new hire.
New hire onboarding (AU and UK only)
This feature is currently is only currently available for Australian and UK customers and allows you to invite your team to join Deputy while also digitally collecting information from employees such as:
- Personal details
- Bank (payment deposit) information
- Tax File Number
- Emergency contact details
- Superannuation details (AU)
Read more about new hire onboarding with Deputy.
Manually adding single employees
When you first sign up to Deputy, you will have the option to add some employees to you account. Afterwards, to add new employees, you will need to navigate to the People page.
1. Click the Add People dropdown menu button.
2. Click Add Team member.
3. In the popup enter the minimum mandatory information:
- First name
- Last name
- The main location(s) the member works at
as well as optionally:
- other locations the team members may work at (if you have multiple locations set up in your Deputy account)
- Mobile phone number
- Email address (to send an invite to join Deputy if you choose)
- The Deputy access level for the team member
Once you have completed the fields you can click the button:
- Add Team member (this will add them to Deputy now and you can invite them to join later when you are ready - this is useful when setting up new Deputy accounts)
- Add & invite Team member (this will also send an email or mobile invitation to the team member to join Deputy)
Note: The Add Team member button will not turn purple and clickable until the mandatory information has been entered and the Add & Invite Team member button will not turn purple and clickable until either a phone number or email address has been entered to be able to send the invite.
Once the employee has been added they will appear in the People list and you can click on their name to add or edit details on the employee profile page.
Read Editing your team member's profile for more information on what information you can add or update in the employee profile.
Inviting employees by sharing a link
To generate a link that you can use to invite new employees to your Deputy account:
1. On the People tab click on Add People.
2. Select either Add Team member or Add multiple Team members from the drop-down menu.
4. Click on the Copy link button.
5. The link inviting the employee to your business on Deputy will now be copied to your clipboard and can be pasted into social channels such as WhatsApp, Messenger, Email or SMS, for you to send to your employee.
When they click on the link they will receive an invitation to join Deputy and complete their employee information as described further in this article.
Note: If you wish to deactivate a link you have created so it can no longer be used, follow this process.
When NOT to use invitation by sharing a link:
- If your organisation uses SSO to login to Deputy then you should not invite employees to your organisation using this method invitation by sharing a link.
- If you have already entered your employee's email addresses into Deputy you can use this method to send email invite links as a bulk action rather than one by one.
Adding multiple Team members manually or via file import
1. On the People page click Add People and then select Add multiple Team members.
This will open a new pop up that has options to:
To import multiple team members first select the location where you would like to invite the new team members into. Note: Using this method, you can only add team members to one location at a time. To add team members to additional locations later you can do this with a Bulk Action on the People page.
Import or Upload a file
If you have too many team members' names and emails to enter manually and already have them in another system you can also import them in bulk, click Import or Upload a file which will display a drop-down menu of programs you may import from.
You can import from:
- Xero Payroll which will ask you to connect to your Xero account, then sync those details to fill the fields. Please be aware that if you have created the employees in Deputy already, they should not be set to Automatic pay rates, as this will duplicate them. Additionally, your employees' names and email addresses must be identical, which will avoid duplicating them.
- ADP RUN
- QuickBooks, which will ask you to connect your account to Deputy, then sync employee details into the fields.
- Netsuite which will ask you to connect, then import your employees into the fields.
- MYOB Accountright
- MYOB which will require you to follow a few steps to download a tab-delimited file, which you will then upload to fill in the fields.
- WageEasy which will ask you to connect, then follow a few steps to export your employee data as a CSV file, which you will then upload to Deputy.
- Excel which will require you to download and fill a CSV file, then upload it, filling in the fields for you. Note: if you have a spreadsheet you may prefer to use Bulk Import / Update from a CSV file instead.
When your team members' details have been imported and you have checked everything is correct, toggle ON or OFF the Send Invitation Email option (depending on whether you are ready to send your team members an invitation to join Deputy) and then click Add People.
Manually enter multiple employees' names, emails and phone numbers
If you would prefer you can fill in the fields to manually add multiple team members' names and either their email address or their phone number. You can click Add more people to continue adding team members' details.
When you have added your team members' details, toggle ON or OFF the Send Invitation Email option (depending on whether you are ready to send your team members an invitation to join Deputy) and then click Add People.
Import via Integration
Another way to receive your employee data into Deputy is to connect an integration to another system your organisation may already be using that contains your employee information.
Some popular examples are:
Click on the integration you wish to connect to and follow the instructions to access the third-party system. We have specific articles in our Help Centre that have been written for assistance with connecting to each integration.
Note: connecting an integration to sync employee information across to Deputy may result in the employee being automatically invited to join Deputy. If you are setting up a new Deputy account where you want to add your people information now, continue setting up Deputy and then invite your team to join when you are ready then it would be preferable to import them using this method so you can turn OFF the Send Invitation Email option.
Bulk Import/Update using CSV data (NEW)
If you have your team members' details in a spreadsheet you can easily import these details using our Bulk Import/Update tool.
On the People page, click Add People then select Bulk import and update.
The advantages of using this system are:
- You can import many more employee information data fields than just name and email.
- You can decide whether to send an invitation for the employee to join Deputy now or delay inviting them until later.
- You can even bulk update existing employee information with new data, such as training records, in addition to adding new employee data.
Read more at Bulk import and update using data from a CSV file.
Add your team using the Deputy mobile app
Stepping away from the Deputy website, it is also possible to add people to your team from your phone using the Deputy mobile apps.
Read more in the Manager guide to the Deputy mobile app.