- Before you begin
- What data fields can be imported?
- How do I bulk import or bulk update team member data?
- Sample CSV template
Before you begin
Read Getting started with bulk import and update using data from a CSV file.
Before you can bulk import or bulk update information in your Deputy account please ensure you have the access level permission of a System Administrator or Location Manager.
Note: Location Managers can only bulk import or update team members for the locations that they manage.
You will also need a spreadsheet prepared with your data in it and saved as a CSV file. You can either:
- create the spreadsheet dataset you need with our CSV sample template or
- export your existing Deputy data as a CSV file and edit or add to that data in the spreadsheet before re-importing it back into Deputy.
What data fields can be imported?
Please find below a list of fields and respective validations for each data set you can bulk import:
|Preferred Name (Display Name)||"Jack"||No|
|Mobile||"0401000000"||Only if email is not entered.||Must be in format shown in example|
|"email@example.com"||Only if phone is not entered.||Unique|
|Main Location||"Location"||Yes (either location name or location code)||Valid Deputy location for your business|
|Location Code||"LOC"||Yes (either location name or location code)||Valid Deputy location for your business|
|DOB||"1999-09-09"||No||Must be in format shown in example|
|Emergency Contact Name||"Jill"||No|
|Emergency Contact Phone||"Jackson"||No|
|Termination Date||"2022-09-09"||No||Must be in format shown in example|
|Send Invite (Y/N)||"Y"||No||Default "N"|
|Additional locations||"Location2, Location 3"||No||Valid Deputy location for your business|
|Role||"Employee"/"Supervisor"/"Location Manager"/"System Administrator"||No||Valid role for your business|
|Stress Profile||"24/7"||No||Valid stress profile for your business|
|Hired Date||"2022-08-08"||No||Must be in format shown in example|
|Library award||"[MA000009] HIGA - Full Time - 1-October-2022"||No||Must match the name of a valid employment term in your account (For Premium accounts, the name of a valid Deputy pay rate, or for Enterprise, the name of a custom employment term created for you.|
|Base rate||"20"||No||A valid number (to 4 decimal places)|
How do I bulk import or bulk update team member data?
1. After accessing bulk import or update you will see the following popup.
2. Select Team member profiles to add new Team members or update existing information in bulk.
3. Click Continue.
4. You will now be able to upload your CSV by clicking Select file (see Before you start for information on how to prepare your CSV). Please ensure your CSV is in the correct format to avoid import failures. You can find out more about the fields and format you need to import your team member information in this table.
4. For the uploaded file, confirm Deputy has identified the row containing your column headers correctly by clicking Continue.
6. You will be asked to change or confirm column names.
Here you will see names of columns in your CSV and template file. Most of columns will be automatically matched. Please ensure columns are correctly matched for a successful import.
To help you to correctly match columns, you will see few data points for columns. To view column data, simply hover over column names.
Once you are happy that the columns match correctly, click Continue.
7. On the Review and finalize screen, you will see a count of how many of your records are valid and ready to import and how many have errors. If you wish, you can start to import the valid records by clicking on Import X records on the bottom right. Or you may choose to correct the records with errors first.
Click on the Error tab to display all records with errors. You will see the fields coloured red if they have an error.
You find out more information about the expected format of this field by hovering your mouse over the column names or you can click on the highlighted field to know more about errors.
In the examples below, the date of birth is in the wrong date format and the email is required to be entered.
At this point, you can choose:
- to correct all errors in this review and finalise screen by manually updating all fields to ensure there are no errors
- correct the errors in the original CSV file and start the import process again
- import only valid records (the system will only count valid records and only allow valid records to be imported)
8. Once you have corrected all errors in your data click on Import records and all valid data will be imported.
You will be able to see the progress of the import.
On successful import, you will a success screen. Clicking on Continue finishes the import workflow and will return you to the People page where your newly imported team members will appear.
If any records are rejected, you will have the option to review those records, correct any fields and import those records.