- Before you export
- Selecting timesheets to export
- Edit timesheet export codes (if necessary)
- Exporting timesheets
- FAQs troubleshooting
Before you export
- how team members' pay rates are set or edited in their profile
- how to set a Payroll ID (if your payroll system requires a code as the unique identifier for each team member)
- how timesheets are created in Deputy
- how managers approve timesheets
- what format Deputy exports timesheets in
- how to connect your payroll system to Deputy OR
- other formats Deputy can export timesheets in if you have not connected Deputy to your payroll system including:
- Custom payroll export
- Adhoc export format
- CSV files
Selecting timesheets to export
Once you have approved your timesheets click on Timesheet > Export Timesheets
Select your location
Use the location selector to click on the location you wish to export timesheets from (or choose all locations).
Select your date range to export
Use the date selector to display the timesheets you wish to export for. You can choose a period of time that is:
- one day
- a week
- a fortnight
- a month
- or a date range of your choosing
Note: be aware that most payroll systems will require you to export timesheets in the date range that exactly matches the pay run in the payroll system.
Select your team members
Click on the team members' names on the left-hand side of the screen to select which team members timesheets you wish to export.
Alternatively, click Select all to select every team member.
A team member will have a tick next to their name and be coloured purple if they have been selected to export.
Editing timesheet export codes
Every (non-salary) pay rate that is assigned to a team member in Deputy has its own export code set by Deputy and is used when exporting timesheets to your payroll system.
Some payroll systems have limitations on the length of the pay rate code it will accept. Alternatively, you may wish to use a defined set of pay rate export codes, rather than the default ones assigned in Deputy.
If this is the case, you will need to edit the export codes in the timesheets before they are exported so they will match with the correct pay rates in your payroll system.
Read more at Edit timesheet export codes.
When you are ready to export the timesheets, click on Export Selected Items.
Select the appropriate payroll application from the drop-down list and click Export.
Note: If you are already connected to a payroll system then you will see the third-party system you are connected to shown in the pop-up.
FAQs and troubleshooting
I am getting an error when exporting timesheets.
Have you checked:
- All employees are set up correctly? Depending on what data needs to match between Deputy and your payroll you may need to check:
- Payroll ID matches
- First and Last names match exactly (and any extra names used such as middle names and in the same fields in both systems)
- Email addresses match (some payroll system use this as the unique identifier and not payroll ID)
- all employees have a pay rate assigned in their profile.
- The dates you have selected to export timesheets for match the pay period in your payroll system?
- The pay rate export codes in the timesheet match those used in your payroll system. Ensure the pay rate code used complies with the requirements of the payroll system. eg. MYOB export codes must be less than 32 characters long. Note: Even if you have edited your export codes during previous exports, please check the codes again for subsequent exports to ensure they are correct as each export may contain different team members or pay rates.
- Still having problems? Contact Support.
Can I export timesheets for salaried team members?
No, salaried team members' timesheets do not export from Deputy. Salary information is only added to a team member's profile in Deputy for Business insights and reporting purposes.
Can I export timesheets for team members that might work in different areas of my business for different pay rates depending on the area?
This is called Pay by area and Deputy can export timesheets with pay by area to Gusto, Xero and ADP.
What format does Deputy export timesheets in?
Deputy exports timesheets in the following formats:
- ADP (US) - Over The Air
- ADP (US) - WFN - Over the Air
- ADP PayLine (AU) - File Download
- ADP Run (US) - File Download
- ADP Workforce Now (US) - File Download
- Astute Payroll
- Aussiepay Export
- BambooHR Payroll Export
- CloudPayroll / iPayroll V2
- CSV/Excel: All Fields
- CSV/Excel: Daily Totals and Overtime
- Deputy Adhoc Programmable Export Format
- FlareHR CSV Export
- FlexiTime Export (NZ)
- Heartland Payroll - CSV Export
- HR3 Payroll
- iPayroll (NZ)/CloudPayroll (AU) (deprecated)
- KeyPay Payroll (Direct Export)
- MicrOpay Meridian (Enterprise Only)
- MYOB Business (Cloud Export)
- MYOB EXO Payroll
- MYOB Payroll (Desktop)
- MyPaye Wages Export (UK)
- Paylocity Web Pay
- Payplus Payroll - File export
- PayrollVault Export
- QuickBooks Desktop IIF File
- QuickBooks Online (Direct Export)
- Reckon Payroll
- Sage 200 Payroll (UK)
- Sage 50 Payroll (UK)
- Sequoia Payroll - CSV Export
- Shoebooks Payroll
- Smart Payroll Export (NZ)
- Sure Payroll
- Timesheet CSV with History Audit
- Toast Payroll
- WageEasy (TimeCards 2.3) Payroll
- Wennsoft Project Billing
- Xero Contractor Invoice (Accounts Payable per Employee)
- Xero Payroll
- Xero Time Billing
- Zenefits Payroll Export