- Before you begin
- What data fields can be imported?
How do I bulk import or bulk update the assignment of my team member employment terms data?
- View import history
- Sample CSV template
Before you begin
In Deputy, you are able to assign employment terms to your team to ensure they are paid the correct amount (including the correct overtime, allowances and other entitlements). You can do this one employee at a time or use our bulk updater feature to add or update multiple employment terms to your team members at once.
When using the bulk importer or update tool please note:
- if you are bulk importing or updating a team member's pay rate information record then that team member must have their email address recorded in Deputy as we use their email address as the unique identifier to match the employment term records in the data sets for each employee. Read Getting started with bulk import and update using data from a CSV file.
- not all Deputy pay rates are supported for bulk import and update
- Before you can bulk import or bulk update information in your Deputy account please ensure you have the access level permission of a System Administrator or Location Manager. Location Managers can only bulk import and update team members for the locations that they manage.
- You will also need a spreadsheet prepared with your data in it and saved as a CSV file. To do this you can either:
Note: Employment terms and team members must already exist in your Deputy account to use the bulk update feature.
What data fields can be imported?
Employment Terms - Deputy Premium accounts
|[MA000009] HIGA - Full Time - 1-October-2022
|Must match the name of a valid employment term in your account (For Premium accounts, the name of a valid Deputy pay rate, or for Enterprise, the name of a custom employment term created for you.
|a valid number (to 4 decimal places)
Employment Terms - Deputy Enterprise accounts
This field is mandatory. Email is used as the unique identifier of an employee - the user with this email with receive the following pay rate.
No validation - only used as a guide. Does not get updated after upload.
No validation - only used as a guide. Does not get updated after upload.
“Weekly Mon - Sun”
Needs to match with the name of a valid pay period within Deputy.
“Test Pay Centre”
Needs to match with a valid pay centre that has been created within your Deputy instance.
“Weekly Weekday $20.00”
Needs to match a valid pay centre/employment term
The Payroll ID you wish to assign to your user.
The location you wish to be associated with this employment contract. To note, this will not assign a location to a user's profile. Only Locations that are are already assigned to a user via the employment profile should be used.
How do I bulk add/update the employment terms of my team?
For Deputy Premium accounts, many generic employment terms are ready to use as part of Deputy's Pay Rule Library. For Deputy Enterprise users, your employment terms are custom and have been created for you.
Employment terms that are part of the Pay Rule Library (for Deputy Premium) or have been custom-created (for Deputy Enterprise) are all able to be bulk uploaded via the importer.
There are two ways to bulk add employment terms to your team:
Team Member data upload can be used where there are simple requirements when assigning your team employment term as it only supports adding one employment term which is assigned to the main location.
- Employment terms data upload (available in Deputy Enterprise accounts only) supports complex setups, where multiple employment terms are able to be assigned to your team based on the pay centre / pay period in which they worked.
Bulk import employment term information in Deputy Premium accounts
When needing to bulk import or update employment terms for team members in your Deputy Premium account please follow the steps outlined in Bulk import or bulk update team member data as this template contains the fields to specify:
- a library award
- a base rate
for each employee with an email address assigned and utilised as the unique identifier for that employee.
Bulk import employment term information in Deputy Enterprise accounts
To get started bulk adding or editing the employment contracts assigned to your team in Deputy Enterprise accounts, you will need a spreadsheet prepared with your data saved as a CSV file. You can either:
- create the employment term record spreadsheet dataset from our CSV sample templates or
- export your existing Deputy employment term record data as a CSV file and edit or add to the existing data in the spreadsheet before saving the CSV file again and re-importing it back into Deputy.
Export your existing employment terms
If you would like to export your employment terms as they are currently set up, edit them in a spreadsheet and re-import them:
1. In your Enterprise account, click on the People page, then Add People and select Bulk import and update.
2. Select Assign employment terms and click to Download your existing employment term assignments (or use our template if you'd prefer to create a new spreadsheet).
3. Click Done.
4. Click on the bell icon next to your name then click on Your employment term data is ready to download to save the CSV file to your computer.
4. Open the CSV file you have downloaded to your computer and make the required amendment to your employment terms data as required. Please ensure the data in your CSV is in the correct format to avoid import failures. Save the file.
Import / Update your Employment term data from your CSV file
1. Return to the People page, then Add People and select Bulk import and update.
2. Select Assign Employment Terms and then Continue to upload.
2. You will now be able to upload your CSV by clicking Select file.
3. For the uploaded file, confirm Deputy has identified the row containing your column headers correctly by clicking Continue.
4. You will be asked to change or confirm column names. Here you will see names of columns in your CSV and template file. Most of columns will be automatically matched. Please ensure columns are correctly matched for a successful import.
To help you to correctly match columns, you will see few data points for columns. To view column data, simply hover over column names.
Once you are happy that the columns match correctly, click Continue.5. On the Review and finalize screen, you will see a count of how many of your records are valid and ready to import and how many have errors. If you wish, you can start to import the valid records by clicking on Import X records on the bottom right. Or you may choose to correct the records with errors first.
6. Click on the Error tab to display all records with errors. You will see the fields coloured red if they have an error. In the example below, there is an error because there has been no associated employment term entered.
At this point, you can choose:
- to correct all errors in this review and finalise screen by manually updating all fields to ensure there are no errors
- correct the errors in the original CSV file and start the import process again
- import only valid records (the system will only count valid records and only allow valid records to be imported)
Some common validation issues that might appear:
- An employment term is unique for each pay period & pay centre combination. It cannot be updated. Trying to update the employment term already associated with a pay period and pay centre will give an error.
- The name of the employment term needs to match an existing employment term that's present on the Deputy install where the bulk import is occurring.
- Pay Centre needs to be a valid location name that has been configured to be to be a pay centre.
- Location needs to be valid and be assigned to the user via their Deputy profile.
- Multiple pay details (unique combinations of pay period, pay centre and employment term) can not be added to the same location
7. Once you have resolved or discarded all errors in your data, all valid data will be imported.
You will be able to see the progress of the import.
8. On successful import, you will a success screen. Clicking on Continue finishes the import workflow and will return you to the People page where your newly updated employment term records will appear.
If any records are rejected, you will have the option to review those records, correct any fields and import those records again.
View import history
You can view a history of the previous import for team member details by going into the People page and clicking Add People then selecting Bulk import and update.
1. Click View import history
2. You can see a log of the imports that have occurred.
Note: clicking Download will export all data that was finally imported. This may not necessarily be data that was initially prepared in the original CSV. If any data was changed or errors were corrected during the import process they will be included in the file you download.