What kind of data can you import
You can import the following sets of data. Click on the relevant category to download a sample file.
How to access the Importer Wizard
The importer is accessed differently whether you are on our Premium or Enterprise plans.
1. Click on the Enterprise tab and in the Custom Development section select Import data.
To access the importer in Premium accounts, you will need to add this backend link to your Deputy URL in your browser:
Example: if your Deputy URL is https://sparknco.au.deputy.com then your import URL would look like:
This will bring you straight to the importer which looks like this:
How to use the Importer Wizard
1. In the drop-down box, select the type of data you would like to import. For this example, we'll import new 'Area' data.
2. Click on the link to download a sample file.
3. Using the sample file as a guide add the information you need to import and click Save in Excel.
4. Upload your edited file. You can drag and drop the file into the box, or click Import from Excel/CSV and select the file from where it is saved on your computer.
5. Now we will need to map the fields. This will ensure that the correct data is imported.
Fields for this example:
- Company - Refers to the Location
- Operational Unit Name - The area you would like to add/import
- Show on Roster - Whether the area will appear in your schedule
- Active - If you would like the area to be active
Note: These fields will vary based on the type of import you choose.
The Sample Record Data can help you clarify and confirm that you have mapped the correct fields. Click 'Next' when you are ready to continue.
6. On the next page, you have an opportunity to check and edit any details that may be incorrect.Any records you have decided you don't want to import can be deselected using the checkboxes on each line. Once you are ready to import, click Next.
7. A progress bar will appear which will update you on the status of your import.
and then a summary of the import results
8. After the import is complete, you can go to the relevant page to confirm the changes.
In the example above where we imported new Areas you can see that the Location page now displays the newly added Areas.
Using leave balance import template
When using the Leave Balance import template the first column specifies the term "Employee".
This field actually supports:
- the employee's display name OR
- the employee's email address OR
- the unique Employee Record ID is given to the employee in Deputy
Note: If an employee's name contains digits (e.g., Amy 1, or Amy $25 per hour) this can also cause problems if importing by name rather than employee ID. Also, if an archived and current employee has the same preferred name, Deputy will get confused and may apply the leave balance to the wrong employee.
For the removal of ambiguity in the case of two employees with the same display name, it is preferable to use the Employee's Record ID email in this field.
How do I find the Employee Record ID?
Enterprise customers can access the Employee's Record ID by downloading the CSV file by clicking on the Enterprise page and selecting People then CSV to download a CSV file.
Premium account customers can export the Employee ID from the Leave management report page.