- Validation Exception Error
- Employees Not Found
- Invalid Leave Period
- Timesheet is not a Draft Timesheet
- Timesheets already exists / Timesheets can not be overwritten
- Pay Element not found
- Exporting wrong rates even AFTER re-syncing and reapproving
- Superannuation Error
- Scope not recognised
- Export Failed - Xero Validation Exception Earnings Rate Does not Exist
- Export Failed - Employee - happens when retrieving data of this Employee from Xero
- Export Failed: Add Pay Items Failed
- No Payroll Calendar found
- Employee Pay Template Error (US accounts only)
Validation Exception Error
- Leave names do not match between Deputy and Xero
- Hire date is after the start of the pay period
- Check leave items in the timesheets, and use this to match the leave name in Xero - they must match
- If pay rates have been changed recently, re-sync the employee, or re-approve the timesheet
- Check leave names in Deputy and edit them to match in Xero
Employees Not Found
- Xero connection drop-out
- Name/email of employee doesn't match between Xero and Deputy
- Disconnect Xero and reconnect
- check names and emails match exactly in Xero and Deputy.
Invalid Leave Period
Xero pay calendar does not match the date range set in Deputy
Match the exported pay period between Deputy and Xero
Timesheet is not a Draft Timesheet
The timesheets have already been approved in Xero
In Xero, revert timesheets to "Draft" status
Timesheet already exists/Timesheet cannot be overwritten
Employee has submitted a timesheet in Xero
- Decline the timesheet and revert it to 'Draft' status. Attempt to export the timesheet again
Pay Element not found
- The earnings rate configured in Xero is not correct.
- In Xero, you will need to make sure that each employee has an Ordinary Earnings Rate (set on each employee's Employment tab). This earnings rate must be a pay rate with the Type "Ordinary Time Earnings" and the Rate Type "Rate per Unit". The Unit Type must be "Hours". If it is not, you will receive a "Pay Element Not Found" error when exporting.
Rates exported to Xero (from Deputy) are wrong, even AFTER re-syncing the employee and re-approving the timesheet
- Employee is syncing to previous (discarded) employee profile in Xero
- Turn off Auto-Sync
- Check if there's a duplicate employee in Xero (check under history)
- Check if employee shares an email in Xero with another employee
- Contact Deputy Support, as we may need to edit settings in the backend
No superannuation in employee's template in Xero
Add superannuation in employee's pay template in Xero
Scope Not Recognised
Xero account is from a country we do not integrate with/support
We can only export to Xero instances from Australia, New Zealand, United States and United Kingdom
Export Failed - Xero Validation Exception Earnings Rate Does not Exist
Check which team member(s) are causing the problem by exporting in small batches to isolate the problem
Check pay template (check if Allowances items are set up as hourly)
Check if the latest pay rates have been synced
Sync team members, unapprove then reapprove.
Export Failed - Employee - happens when retrieving data of this Employee from Xero
- Check base rate is assigned in the Employment and Pay Template tab and then export again.
- Contact Support
Export Failed: Add Pay Items Failed
- A Pay Item in Xero has not been allocated to an expense account. Read - Creating the Pay Items Earnings Rate in Xero for more information on setting up Pay Items in Xero.
- This error will still occur even if the Pay Item is inactive so please check active and inactive Pay Items.
- Ensure all Earnings Lines within Pay Items are allocated to the correct expense account. If this is a pay rate, it will usually be the main expense account used to pay employees.
- For any Earnings Lines that are inactive and not allocated to an expense account, you will need to mark them as active, allocate an expense account and then mark them as inactive again before you try to export again.
No Payroll Calendar found
- A valid Payroll calendar does not exist in Xero.
The Payroll calendar is not assigned to the profiles of the staff in Xero.
There are active Xero pay runs.
- Check Payroll Calendar exists. This can be seen within settings > payroll settings > calendars.
- The Payroll calendar that you're exporting for should have dates that match with the pay period (dates) that you're exporting Timesheets for in deputy.
- Check that the Payroll calendar is assigned to the profiles of the staff in Xero. This can be seen by going to payroll > employees > select employee > employment > pay calendar.
- If there is an active pay run, please delete the pay run.
Employee Pay Template Error (US accounts only)
Currently, Deputy pulls ordinary rates from Xero. However, in the case of our award library, you can override Xero's pay rates in favour of Deputy's. There is a known issue where exporting Deputy's rates over Xero's will cause duplicate pay items, and thus, creates errors within Xero. Such errors include incorrect overtime rates and employees all being paid the same amount when different rates are to occur.
To fix this, log into Xero and edit the employee's pay template. Ensure that they are assigned the correct pay rules in the employee payment tab. In addition, if the user uses shift loading or period loading with a fixed hourly rate, these pay rules should be assigned to the employee's template (see image below).
You will also need to modify and correct the employee ordinary rate within the employee's profile in Xero.
Please note that if the employee template is not fixed, the hourly rate from that pay rule will inherit the existing pay item, causing every employee to have the same hourly rate.
This error exists only for our customers in the US. This will not affect Xero users in AU.