There may be times when your internet connection will be unstable. This article will show you how to use Deputy Kiosk and Deputy mobile apps offline in these instances.
We will cover:
Using the iOS Kiosk offline
The Kiosk for iPad can be used anywhere, as long as you have set it up beforehand.
If you are unsure as to whether or not your Kiosk is currently offline, you can check by logging in and looking beneath your name. If the Kiosk is offline, you will see Offline Mode as shown below.
What you can do on Kiosk in offline mode:
- You may still start and end both scheduled and unscheduled shifts using the Kiosk PIN to log in. For help with this please read How to Use the iPad Kiosk.
- A photo will still be captured when clocking in and out. However, the timesheet details and photo will not be uploaded to your Deputy account until the Kiosk is reconnected to the internet.
- You can use voice commands such as "Start Shift" and "Start Break".
- You can view information that was already present when the connection was lost. This means that you may not view any new announcements, tasks and shifts.
- You can make announcements on the Kiosk and send tasks to other team members on the same Kiosk. This means that your team will be able to communicate with each other while on shift, but not with the greater organisation.
What you can't do on Kiosk in offline mode:
- You can not log into the Kiosk using Face Unlock for Touchless Clock in but you can still log in using your PIN.
- You may not view new announcements, tasks and shifts that were published via the Deputy after the internet connection was lost.
- You may not enter a leave request, unavailability or access the calendar as each of these actions requires an internet connection to upload the information.
Please note that the Kiosk should be intermittently connected to the internet so that it can upload your shifts. While the Kiosk can run for a few days without it, we recommend going no longer than 24 hours without an internet connection to ensure the best retention of data.
Warning: Do not delete the Kiosk app from your iPad while in offline mode as timesheet information that has not yet been uploaded to Deputy will be also deleted.
Using the Deputy mobile apps offline
The offline version of the Deputy app features read-only capability for data downloaded while online. This means that if you downloaded your shifts, announcements and tasks when you were online, you will be able to read them by bringing up the app on your phone. While you are offline, you may not create new tasks, timesheets, schedules, or announcements.
Attempting to access online data or create new data will result in a warning being displayed similar to that shown in the examples below:
Reconnecting to the internet will allow you to download new data. If you are working or living in an area with minimal available internet, please be aware that you will only need to be connected for a few seconds to upload or download new data. If you have a poor connection, try moving your phone near a window or on higher ground.